Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ethyl and Gladys Do Wal-Mart

I saw the epitome of the statement "Getting old ain't for sissies," tonight in Perry. Apparently to reach 70 in Perry you have to be pretty tough and self-sufficient.

I was in the Wal-Mart in Perry and I saw two seventy-something year old ladies (we'll call them Ethyl and Gladys) standing by a metal non-supported case in the middle of the aisle. The next thing I see is Gladys (or Ethyl) starting to climb the case to get to the stop shelf. I yell as I briskly walk toward them, "Can I help you?" Gladys steps down from the first shelf as Ethyl says "Yes, can you get us that thing of pineapple?" I stretch to reach up and secure the pineapple. I grab two so they don't start climbing again when I leave.

I may have saved two ladies from badly broken bones but about an hour later I realized they had a couple of tubs of preserved cherries already in their carts. Pineapples? Cherries? Yikes! I had just contributed to the birth of a fruitcake!

Next time I do something like that I want to fully seal the deal and bring over a pack of cut and bake chocolate chip cookies and say, "These are what those crazy kids are eating for the holidays these days!" Some grandkid will thank me someday.

No comments: